The site is located in the heart of a working farm situated 15 minutes north of Bundaberg's city centre. Surrounding the existing house is a Macadamia Plantation and further afield the land is used for intensive sweet potato farming. The existing pre-1942 timber house has had a number of additions over the years. To the rear of the house, a collection of corrugated steel clad sheds have accumulated to keep the workings of the farm close to the house.
The new extension appropriates the language of the existing ‘Queenslander’ and adds a new living wing to the existing house. The old house is reprogrammed to accommodate the private functions of sleeping and bathing. The new open-planned addition accommodates the social and communal requirements of the growing family. The rooms are open to the north and to views of the macadamia trees beyond. Solid walls and windows are carefully positioned to block views to the working sheds and maximise views to the sky, the garden and the macadamia plantation.